Let’s face it – we all take our feet for granted. We squeeze them into shoes, stress them out during workouts and generally neglect them. Yet they still perform for us, bearing our bodies’ weight for miles and miles and years and years.
Read on to discover some amazing foot facts to share with family and friends:
- Each foot is a mechanical marvel with 26 bones, 33 joints and more than 100 tendons, muscles and ligaments.
- 25% of all the bones in the entire human body are in both feet.
- Based on 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day, the average person will walk about 115,000 miles in a lifetime – equal to 4 times around the earth!
- There are 250,000 sweat glands in a pair of feet – more than any other part of the body! That explains a lot about a common problem – foot odor.
- In most people, one foot is slightly larger than the other. This is why it’s important to try on shoes carefully and always buy for the larger foot.
- The total forces acting on your feet as you go about your business on an average day can add up to hundreds of tons – equivalent to a loaded cement truck!
- Women have 4 times as many foot problems as men – often because of poor footwear choices like high heels.
- A 2.5 inch high heel increases the load on the forefoot by 75%.
- Baby feet take years to evolve – foot bones are not completely formed until age 18.
- Toenails grow slowly – only 1 mm. per month – where fingernails grow at the rate of .1 mm. per day. Nails grow faster during pregnancy, teen years and in hot weather.
- The skin on the soles of the feet is thicker than on any other part of the body.
- Jeison Hernandez of Venezuela holds the record for the world’s largest feet – size 26! Each foot is 16 inches long.
- When running, the pressure on each foot can equal 3 to 4 times body weight.
- 75% of people have foot problems. Are you one of them?
Next time you think of it, thank your feet for all their hard work! Pamper them with a foot massage or home pedicure.
And while your feet usually work hard to get you where you want to go, if you experience foot or ankle pain or other problem, please do not hesitate to contact Stavros O. Alexopoulos, DPM for expert podiatric services.
We Can Help with Any Type of Foot or Ankle Pain
Dr. Alexopoulos, board certified podiatrist has extensive experience with patients with all kinds of foot and ankle diseases and conditions. You can reach us at our Chicago office at (773) 561-8100 or request an appointment via the website. Don’t let poor footwear or any type of foot problem ruin your child’s summer – call us today!