It’s mid-summer, school is on the horizon and you’re still trudging around in your flip flops.
Take a look at your favorite pair – they’re probably looking pretty scruffy right about now. Between trips to the lake, walking along the beach, protecting your feet at the pool and washing your car, you wear them anywhere and everywhere. With the heat this summer, your feet have probably been extra sweaty – and smelly – and your flip flops just keep collecting dirt and other yucky things.
Before they get any worse, Stavros O. Alexopoulos, DPM recommends taking some time now to give your flip flops a good cleaning. It’s a quick job and doesn’t take much in terms of supplies. Here’s how:
Start with a Deep Cleaning
Neglected flip flops need a lot of love! For leather, rubber or plastic flip flops, start with this deep clean and repeat every 2-3 months:
- Mix 1/2 cup baking soda with enough water to make a paste.
- Apply to the sole and top surface of each flip flop and scrub with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Cover all the nooks and crannies like where the strap connects to the base.
- Rinse thoroughly and dry off with a paper towel, then let air-dry for a day in the sun.
Keep your flip-flops looking and smelling fresh with this quick routine:
- Wipe down your flip flop completely with a damp paper towel. You can use dish soap, rubbing alcohol or vinegar.
- Use another wet paper but with water this time to wipe again and remove traces of the cleaning substance.
- Dry with a paper towel and let air dry.
Toss in your Washing Machine
In a pinch, you can do a quick wash of several pairs of flip flops in your clothes washer. Just add a dash of detergent and a cup of vinegar, then wash at a delicate setting with cold water. Just let them air dry when the cycle is finished.
A word of caution – this method is NOT for any flip flops that have beading or jeweled decorations.
Learn more about flip flops in our blog about flip flops and children.
Call Us with any Foot or Ankle Pain
Dr. Alexopoulos, board certified podiatrist has extensive experience with foot injuries and skin conditions of all kinds. Let us help you find the best and most comfortable footwear for your unique feet. Please call our Chicago office at (773) 561-8100 or request an appointment via the website. Spruce up your flip flops to finish the summer out in style!