Don’t let foot pain keep you from enjoying all that summer has to offer.
Our feet do a lot for us and are subjected to all kinds of abuse – in other words, walking, running, hiking and even dancing! So don’t neglect them – instead, keep foot health in mind with footwear and foot care.
Here are some “do’s and don’ts” from Stavros O. Alexopoulos, DPM to keep your feet in tip-top shape for summer fun.
- Do wear appropriate shoes for each activity. That includes sturdy, well-fitting athletic shoes for exercising and sports and also for yard work.
- Do wear shoes while operating all types of equipment, from lawn mowers to cars to boats, or when using heavy, sharp tools.
- Do stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water to minimize foot-related swelling during hot weather.
- Do have an extra pair of dry shoes available in case of unforeseen weather or an unexpected dunking in the lake.
- Do dry out your shoes after wearing them, even if they are just damp, to avoid fungal infections.
- Do apply sunscreen frequently to your feet and ankles. Don’t forget the bottoms of your feet too while sunning.
- Do take along a small foot care kit when traveling. Tuck in sterile bandages, antibiotic cream, emollient foot cream, moleskin or blister pads, toenail clippers and a pumice stone.
- Don’t go barefoot in public places like pools, spas and locker rooms. You may pick up athlete’s foot or a toe fungus, or injure your feet.
- Don’t keep your feet in sweaty socks for long – fungal infections thrive in those conditions.
- Don’t wear flimsy flip-flops. Choose instead those with good arch support that are made of quality materials like leather and cork.
Above all, DO come see us if you notice any problem with your feet or if you have any foot or ankle pain. Early diagnosis and treatment can take care of a problematic foot condition quickly to get you back to your warm-weather fun!
Let Us Help with Foot and Ankle Pain
Dr. Alexopoulos, board certified podiatrist, has the right experience to diagnose and treat all types of foot and ankle problems as well as injuries. Many treatments and surgeries can be addressed right here in our office. Please call our Chicago office at (773) 561-8100 or request an appointment via the website. Don’t let a warm weather foot problem keep you from enjoying summer fun – call us today!