What is a ganglion cyst?
A ganglion cyst is a fluid-filled growth that can form anywhere on the body. Typically, they grow under the skin or on joints, bones, and ligaments. On the feet, they develop as benign soft-tissue growths, often on the tops of your feet. They can grow into different sizes and can form as a result of abnormal pressure or significant trauma to your feet.
What are the symptoms?
Ganglion cysts can cause the following symptoms
- lumps on your feet
- tingling or burning if they are encroaching on a nerve
- aching when they are pressing on a tendon or joint
- discomfort while wearing shoes if they become unusually large
Treatment for this condition includes:
- Wearing shoes that do not hit against your ganglion cyst as it can cause further irritation.
- Using padding inside of your shoes to help safeguard against pressure.
- Draining the fluid within them, followed by a steroid injection to reduce swelling and dis
- Surgical procedures for when conservative treatment methods are not helpful. In this instance, the ganglion cyst may have to be removed. This procedure does not guarantee permanent removal so continued monitoring is necessary.
Here at Stavros O. Alexopoulos, DPM, our foot doctor Dr. Stavros O. Alexopoulos will provide your feet with the armor necessary to prevent ganglion cysts from occurring on your feet again. If your feet need relief from ganglion cysts, please contact us to make an appointment today! Our office is conveniently located in Chicago, Illinois and we look forward providing your feet the comfort they deserve. Need more information? Check out our Patient Education Library!