Ankle fractures are significant traumatic experiences for your feet and ankles. They involve a crack or complete break in your ankle bone and require prompt and ongoing medical treatment to ensure that your ankle movement returns to normal. Complete breaks tend to be from an accident or even a hard fall, while stress fractures can take a longer time to develop and be noticed.
No matter what type of fracture you have, you will likely experience significant pain that can travel through the foot and leg. Mobility will be greatly affected after a fracture and severe forms could even result in a bone sticking out of your skin (that’s called a compound fracture). Other symptoms include swelling, bruising, and the inability to bear weight.
Whether you suspect a stress fracture or experience a significant break, seeking professional medical help from a foot doctor like Dr. Stavros O. Alexopoulos is the first step to healing.
- Use splints to immobilize the ankle.
- Dress any wounds with sterile bandages to prevent infections.
- Rest the fractured ankle for extended amounts of time.
- Ice daily to reduce swelling and pain.
- Bandage the fractured ankle to help reduce inflammation.
- Keep your injured ankle elevated to prevent swelling.
- Once the bone is healed, physical therapy and pain management can help to reduce recovery time and to decrease lingering pain.
- Surgical procedures to mend broken bones, to realign bones or to reconstruct bones.
When it comes to fractures, finding an experienced podiatrist is key to a smooth recovery. Dr. Stavros O. Alexopoulos and his staff are compassionate about your foot health and can help you get back on your feet. Contact us at (773) 561-8100 today for an appointment at our podiatry office in Chicago, Illinois. Our Patient Education Library also provides more information about ankle fractures and other common conditions. We welcome your visit and look forward to exceeding your expectations as Chicago’s premier podiatry office!