“The more you know…” is more than just an advertising slogan, and the fact is the more you know about your feet, ankles, and lower legs, the better equipped you’ll be to keep them healthy. Read on for five facts that Cook County podiatrist Dr. Stavros O. Alexopoulos wants you to be aware of:
- Each of your feet contains 26 bones. These 52 bones make up more than 25% of the total bones in your body. These bones arranged in 33 joints and a series of delicate arches that are unique in nature. They enable us to walk upright, but they are also vulnerable to painful arthritis.
- The bones and joints in your feet are not only at risk of arthritis, but they are also at risk of fracture, particularly if you develop osteoporosis, a dangerous weakening of the bones.
- The bones in the feet and ankles are supported by more than 100 muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Discomfort can be a sign of tendinitis, ankle sprain, or other issues and should be reported to your podiatrist without delay.
- One soft tissue structure in your foot is the plantar fascia, which spans the entire length of the sole. When this becomes inflamed, painful plantar fasciitis can result. Be alert to its most characteristic symptom: heel pain, particularly when you get out of bed first thing in the morning.
- Your risk of many foot health issues, including bunions and hammertoes, can be reduced with smart footwear choices. Avoid high rigid heel shoes that force your feet into unnatural shapes. Instead, choose comfortable, supportive shoes with a wide, roomy toe box that allows space for movement. Non-skid soles will help keep you safe from slipping and falling.
Take a step toward excellent foot health. Commit to annual visits with an expert podiatrist like Stavros O. Alexopoulos, DPM. With years of experience and education, including a hospital residency, your foot doctor is a medical expert and the best-qualified specialist to care for this part of your body. Call the friendly My Chicago Foot Expert staff at (773) 561-8100 or click here to schedule a convenient visit to our modern, comfortable Ravenswood office today.