Let’s Talk About Men’s Foot Health
June is Men’s Health Month, making it an excellent opportunity for Dr. Stavros O. Alexopoulos to share some information about men and their feet, ankles, and lower legs. Here are five facts for you:
- Some global health conditions, including cardiovascular disease and diabetes, can cause foot-related symptoms. The best way to spot these symptoms is to see your podiatrist. Your foot doctor is a medical specialist and the best-qualified professional to care for this part of your body. Be sure to schedule a visit with your foot doctor once each year for a checkup and to schedule another appointment any time you experience foot pain or notice a change in the shape or appearance of your feet.
- Foot odor can be a problem for many men. To keep it in check, rotate your footwear and spray shoes with an antibacterial product often. If your foot odor is uncontrollable, talk to your podiatrist to rule out any medical cause and discuss modern treatment options.
- Ingrown toenails can be painful. It can cause further infection. Prevent them by trimming toenails with a clipper instead of scissors and clipping straight across. Don’t round the corners. Use an emery board to smooth any rough edges. Don’t pick at it if you notice redness, swelling, or pus where the nail meets the skin. See your podiatrist for help.
- There are 26 bones and 33 joints in each of your feet. It makes them vulnerable to arthritis and other forms of degenerative joint disease. Your foot doctor can help with accurate diagnosis and effective treatment. See your podiatrist any time you experience foot pain.
- Men who spend time on pool decks and in locker rooms or other places where people congregate barefoot are at risk of plantar warts and fungal infections, including athlete’s foot. The best way to stay safe is to wear shower shoes. This simple step will create a barrier between the skin of the feet and germs.
Is it time for your annual visit, or are you concerned about the health and wellness of your feet, ankles, or lower legs? Call the friendly My Chicago Foot Expert staff at (773) 561-8100 or click here to schedule an appointment with Cook County podiatrist Stavros O. Alexopoulos, DPM, in our modern, comfortable Ravenswood office today.